Please consider joining fellow COS Member Dr. Stephen Fox and his cataract mission team January 18 through January 26, 2020. He is seeking a second surgeon to for this mission which will do manual small incision cataract surgery. Experience in MSICS is certainly preferred.
For the past 15 years the Rotary District 6000 Iowa M.O.S.T. (Miles of Smiles Team) has brought cleft palate/lip medical missions to the remote Western Highlands of Guatemala. This highly professional team of doctors, nurses, and Rotarian volunteers have dedicated themselves to bring hope into the lives of children born with the cleft birth defect. Iowa MOST is committed to improving the lives of the Guatemalan people who live in extreme poverty without the medical resources needed to live healthy, happy lives.
At the request of the Guatemalan people, this year they are assembling a Cataract Surgical Team to bring sight to a great number of Guatemalans who suffer from blindness. The population they serve are predominantly indigineous Mayans living in remote mountainous areas of western Guatemala. Their mission provides transportation, housing, and food for the families while their loved one is having surgery. For the past 10 years they have operated out of a private hospital in Huehuetenango and all logistics (travel, hotel, meals) are arranged by the Iowa MOST team leader. They partner with the local Rotary Club of Huehuetenango to recruit the patients and Dr. Solarzano, a local opthamologist, performs all follow-up to the surgeries.
If you have interest, please contact Steve Fox directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Iowa MOST Team Leader Deb Dunkhase for more information at email@example.com or 319.321.5528
Here are the details…..Iowa MOST Medical Mission Info:
- Date: Saturday, Jan 18 through Sunday, Jan 26, 2020
- Location: Huehuetenango, Guatemala (fly into Guatemala City and take a chartered bus to the town of Huehuetenango (5-6 hr ride)
- Sponsor: Rotary District 6000
- Partners: Rotary Club of Huehuetenango, local private doctors & hospitals
- Patients: Primarily indigenous Mayans living in extreme poverty in the remote Western Highlands of Guatemala
- Logistics: All flights, hotel, meals, and in-country logistics are arranged by Iowa MOST Project Leader Deb Dunkahse
- Supplies: All supplies are provided by SEE International
- Surgical Team: Dr. Stephen Fox (Wolfe Clinic-surgeon) and full nursing team