The goals of the society are:
1) To develop unity in friendship among ophthalmologists in Christ
2) To encourage medical students, house officers and fellows in their walk with the Lord
3) To support other physicians’ faith in Christ regardless of denominational background
4) To have meetings with emphasis on the family so that all family members will feel at home and enjoy the surroundings
5) To develop new professional acquaintances and get to know the families of colleagues who love the Lord
6) To cooperate with and pray for missionary ophthalmologists
7) To pray for revival, particularly in medicine
Society activities include an annual summer scientific and spiritual meeting and a prayer meeting during the annual meetings such as the AAO, ASCRS, ARVO and other national meetings. The Society supports a number of eye mission organizations both with finances and with participation by member physicians. Society members are available to help doctors or family members who are in need of counsel and/or prayer.
The society board is comprised of 12 members who meet twice annually in person and other times virtually. The board is supported by subcommittee members under each board chair covering different aspects of the society’s ministries.
Membership in the Christian Ophthalmology Society may be granted after meeting the following three requirements:
1. Profession of Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and Lord
2. Being an ophthalmologist or ophthalmologist-in-training
3. Support the mission of the Christian Ophthalmology Society
An annual dues to the Society were instituted in 2010. In 2018, the annual dues are $250.
COS membership confers placement in and access to the electronic COS directory. If you meet the above stipulations, and desire to become a member of the COS, you may apply for entry to the electronic directory. After appropriate verification by the COS Board, directory access and membership will be granted.