Founded in 1977
The Christian Ophthalmology Society was founded in 1977 as an interdenominational group of eye physicians and surgeons who confess that Jesus Christ is Savior and Lord.
The goals of the society are:
1) To develop unity in friendship among ophthalmologists in Christ
2) To encourage medical students, house officers and fellows in their walk with the Lord
3) To support other physicians’ faith in Christ regardless of denominational background
4) To have meetings with emphasis on the family so that all family members will feel at home and enjoy the surroundings
5) To develop new professional acquaintances and get to know the families of colleagues who love the Lord
6) To cooperate with and pray for missionary ophthalmologists
7) To pray for revival, particularly in medicine
J Lawton Smith Award
The J Lawton Smith Award is given out each year at the COS Annual Meeting to an ophthalmologist who has shown a lifetime commmitment to serving the Lord through their personal practice of excellence in medicine, academic influence, and/or missionary dedication. These outstanding ophthalmologists have demonstrated “practicing first class medicine in the spirit of love”, a phrase loved by Dr. Smith.